Legal requirements for tourism businesses

Food and drink laws in tourism businesses


If you wish to carry out any 'food operations' in the course of your accommodation business, you must register your premises with your local council's environmental health department. You must do so at least 28 days before your business opens.

Food operations include selling, cooking, storing, handling, preparing and distributing food and drink.

If you're serving food to your guests, you also need to ensure that you comply with other relevant laws relating to food safety, hygiene and labelling. Find detailed information on each below.

Liquor licensing

If you wish to sell alcohol on your premises, you will need an alcohol licence

  • Tourism NI Industry Development
    028 9044 1673
  • Food Standards Agency Northern Ireland
    028 9041 7700