Employing migrant workers in Northern Ireland

Taking migrant workers through their induction

When carrying out an induction with a migrant worker, you should remember that they may need additional support.

Beginning employment in a new organisation can be difficult for anyone but working in a new country can bring additional challenges.

Effectively assisting new employees should mean that they adapt more easily to their new roles and become more productive.

Planning an induction

When planning an induction, take into account if the individual’s first language is not English.

You should also be sensitive to cultural or religious customs and make sure the process is not discriminatory in any way.

Putting together a welcome pack is a good way to provide key information about your business, employment documents and facilities. Read more on providing a new starter pack to new staff.

It may be useful to include information about living in Northern Ireland and English language classes in the pack. Read more on tailoring the induction to the worker.

Further help following the induction

Following up with new employees after an induction can give you the opportunity to help further with their integration or any queries they may have eg accommodation, childcare or banking issues.

It may also be useful to link them up with another employee who could act as a ‘mentor’ and provide further information and support about the business and the local area.

Important: The rights and status of EU, EEA and Swiss citizens living in the UK will remain the same until 30 June 2021. EU citizens and their families can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK. Employers can take a number of practical steps to retain EU employees. For more information, see Brexit support for employers.