Types of outsourcing services
In the past, businesses typically outsourced their non-strategic activities or back-office operations, usually to achieve cost-savings and improve productivity. Nowadays, companies are increasingly looking for outsourcing solutions to improve their competitive advantage. This type of disruptive outsourcing - led by cloud and automation - is fundamentally transforming traditional outsourcing models.
Disruptive outsourcing solutions
The latest developments in outsourcing often incorporate some of Industry 4.0 technologies, including:
- cloud technologies
- cognitive automation
- robotic process automation
These new technologies are revolutionising the way businesses work. They enable efficiencies, faster growth, improved time to market and increased productivity and competitiveness.
Find out more about disruptive outsourcing in Deloitte's 2020 global outsourcing survey.
Examples of outsourcing
Common outsourcing processes and activities include the following:
- IT functions - you can outsource most IT functions, from network management to project work, website development and data warehousing. You may benefit from the latest technology and software upgrades without having to invest in expensive systems or keep up with industry trends.
- Business processes and HR - outsourcing activities such as recruitment, payroll and secretarial services gives you access to specialist skills, but you only pay when you need to use them.
- Finance - you already outsource auditing, so why not do the same with your entire accounting function, including bookkeeping, tax management and invoicing?
- Sales and marketing - many organisations use a consultant or an agency to handle marketing communications. Smaller businesses, or those in specialised markets, can also outsource sales to specialist agencies.
- Health and safety - there are consultants who specialise in health and safety compliance tasks. They may be able to ensure you meet all the requirements, including those for complex risks, more cost-effectively than you can.
- Operational outsourcing - this often includes cleaning, catering, facilities management, deliveries, installation, repairs and after-sales services.
Read about the advantages and disadvantages of outsourcing.