Save money by using energy more efficiently
Checklist: using energy efficiently
Using energy more efficiently will save your business money by cutting your energy bills. To help identify potential savings you should:
- Conduct a walk-round survey of your business to spot immediate money and energy saving opportunities.
- Assign responsibility for energy efficiency to someone within the business and give them the necessary time and resources to do the job thoroughly.
- Take regular meter readings to get an accurate picture of how much energy your business is using and where the biggest savings could be made - see how to monitor your energy use.
- Contact organisations like the Carbon Trust. They offer telephone consultancy and on-site visits to businesses that use a lot of energy - see energy efficiency: sources of advice and financial help.
- Check that you are on the correct energy tariff. For example, if you have a 'day/night' tariff but do not use electricity overnight, it's likely that your bills are higher than they need to be.
- Talk to alternative suppliers of energy about the tariffs they could offer you and whether these beat the terms offered by your current supplier.
- Consider inviting energy companies to tender for your business.
Invest NI Helpline0800 181 4422