There are a number of reliefs available to business ratepayers.
This guide outlines the various business rates reliefs and allowances available and how to apply for them if you are eligible. These rate support schemes include:
- Small Business Rate Relief
- Small Business Rate Relief for small Post Offices
- Charitable Exemption
- Sport and Recreation Rate Relief
- Residential Homes Rate Relief
- Industrial Derating
- Non-Domestic Vacant Rating
- Hardship Relief
You should continue to pay your rates while Land & Property Services (LPS) consider your application. This will help you to avoid paying a large amount in one go if your application is unsuccessful. If your application is successful LPS will refund any rates you have over paid.
If you have a query regarding your business rates you should contact Land & Property Services.
Know your legal responsibilities
- Do you need a licence?
- Get the right business insurance
- Comply with the law when providing goods and services
- Know your customers' rights
- Distance and online selling rules
- Understand pricing legislation
- Buying goods from outside NI
- Selling goods outside NI
- GDPR compliance checklist
- Pay your business rates
- Understand staff contracts and your responsibilities
- Taking on contractors and subcontractors
- What you need to do about health and safety
- Know your legal obligations on pensions
Understand tax and VAT
Sell and market your products or services