Rates assistance for businesses impacted by COVID-19
The Finance Minister has announced a further £213 million of business rates support in addition to the emergency £100 million rates package to assist businesses impacted by COVID-19. Find out more about COVID-19: Emergency rates package for businesses.
There are a number of reliefs available to business ratepayers.
This guide outlines the various business rates reliefs and allowances available and how to apply for them if you are eligible. These rate support schemes include:
- Small Business Rate Relief
- Small Business Rate Relief for small Post Offices
- Charitable Exemption for rates
- Sports and Recreation Rate Relief
- Residential Homes Rate Relief
- Industrial Derating
- Non-Domestic Vacant Rating
- Hardship Rate Relief
You should continue to pay your rates while Land & Property Services (LPS) consider your application. This will help you to avoid paying a large amount in one go if your application is unsuccessful. If your application is successful LPS will refund any rates you have over paid.
If you have a query regarding your business rates you should contact Land & Property Services.
Please note: Most LPS services are available, but LPS Customer Information Centres remain closed until further notice. The Ordnance Survey helpline remains closed until further notice, however queries can be directed to Mapping.Helpdesk@finance-ni.gov.uk. Helplines for rating and valuation, housing benefit, rates relief and land registration are open.
Closures will be kept under regular review in line with further Government announcements. Further information on service updates, helpline numbers and reaching LPS by email are available on the LPS website.
Know your legal responsibilities
- Do you need a licence?
- Get the right business insurance
- Comply with the law when providing goods and services
- Know your customers' rights
- Distance and online selling rules
- Understand pricing legislation
- Buying goods from outside NI
- Selling goods outside NI
- GDPR compliance checklist
- Pay your business rates
- Understand staff contracts and your responsibilities
- Taking on contractors and subcontractors
- Health and safety basics for business
- Know your legal obligations on pensions
Understand tax and VAT
Sell and market your products or services