Rates assistance for businesses impacted by COVID-19
The Finance Minister has announced an emergency £100 million rates package to assist businesses impacted by COVID-19. Find out more about COVID-19: Emergency rates package for businesses.
The Small Business Rate Relief for small Post Offices is a Northern Ireland government initiative that includes enhanced rate relief for small Post Offices. The aim of the rate relief scheme is to help maintain services in disadvantaged areas, particularly smaller, independent Post Offices.
Eligibility for the Small Business Rate Relief is based on the Net Annual Value (NAV) of your Post Office.
There are three levels of Small Business Rate Relief for Post Offices:
- Post Offices with a NAV of £9,000 or less will be awarded 100 per cent relief
- Post Offices with a NAV of more than £9,000 but not more than £12,000 will receive 50 per cent relief
- Post Offices with a NAV of more than £12,000 but not more than £15,000 will receive 20 per cent relief
The Small Business Rate Relief for small Post Offices came into effect on 1 April 2010, initially for a term of five years, but has since been extended annually on review.
Do I need to apply?
There is no application procedure for the Small Business Rate Relief for small Post Offices. Instead, relief will be applied automatically to your business rates bill by Land & Property Services (LPS) if your Post Office qualifies. This will ensure that if you are eligible you will receive the benefit of the rate relief immediately.
There may be occasions, due to data quality issues, when LPS may not have the relevant information to apply the rate relief automatically, or they may have awarded it when it is not due. If you think that you should have been awarded the rate relief, or you believe you have been awarded it in error, you should contact LPS. You can contact LPS by using the following methods:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel 0300 200 7801 (charged at local rate)
- Tel +44 28 9049 5794 if calling from outside the UK
- Text relay 18001 0300 200 7801
Please note: Following the Prime Minister’s announcement on 23 March 2020 about additional measures to limit the spread of COVID-19, Land & Property Services offices and phone lines will be closed from Tuesday 24 March until Wednesday 15 April. The closure will be kept under regular review and the dates will change in line with further Government announcements. Further information on service updates will be available on the LPS website.
If you have a query regarding your business rates you should contact Land & Property Services.
Know your legal responsibilities
- Do you need a licence?
- Get the right business insurance
- Comply with the law when providing goods and services
- Know your customers' rights
- Distance and online selling rules
- Understand pricing legislation
- Buying goods from outside NI
- Selling goods outside NI
- GDPR compliance checklist
- Pay your business rates
- Understand staff contracts and your responsibilities
- Taking on contractors and subcontractors
- Health and safety basics for business
- Know your legal obligations on pensions
Understand tax and VAT
Sell and market your products or services