Complain against an insolvency practitioner or the Insolvency Service

How to complain about an insolvency practitioner


Whether you are a creditor or debtor, you may need an insolvency practitioner (IP) to act as:

  • a trustee in bankruptcy
  • an administrator of a deceased insolvent estate
  • a liquidator
  • a provisional liquidator
  • an administrator
  • an administrative receiver
  • a nominee or supervisor of a voluntary arrangement
  • a trustee of a partnership

A person who acts as a liquidator, trustee in bankruptcy, administrative receiver, administrator or supervisor under a voluntary arrangement must be authorised to act as an IP. The authorisation process was introduced to ensure the suitability of those who are authorised to act as IPs.

Authorisation may be made by one of six professional bodies recognised by the Department for the Economy (DfE) as being competent to do so.

In carrying out their duties, IPs must comply with several statutory requirements and follow best practice and ethical guidance.

If you are unhappy with how an IP has carried out their services or duties, you should contact their authorising body. See what to consider before making a complaint.