Your business can save water in a number of key ways at industrial sites:
- recovering materials using a product recovery system - see how to reduce water use by product recovery
- cleaning equipment using cleaning-in-place systems - see how to reduce water use by cleaning-in-place
- using other cleaning and rinsing techniques - see how to reduce water use with cleaning and rinsing techniques
- using technology to monitor and adjust the rate of water flow - see how to reduce water use by monitoring and adjusting the water flow
- reconsidering your processes - see how to reduce water by re-evaluating your processes
- reducing water from the process plant that you use - see how to reduce water use from your process plant
You should also focus on:
- adopting a systematic approach to reduce your water use in the most effective way
- using heating and cooling systems efficiently
- controlling water pressure
- avoiding leaks and overflows
- checking water meters and water bills
- reducing your mains water use by collecting rainwater and reusing water
For more information, see water reviews, policies and action plans.
If you have an environmental management system, or are intending to set one up, you should use this to manage your water use - see environmental management systems (EMS) - the basics.
If your business also has facilities such as washrooms, catering or laundry areas, see how to save water at commercial premises.