Selling fireworks

Registering as a fireworks retailer


Fireworks are explosive devices, and as such are tightly regulated in Northern Ireland. As well as customers needing a licence to buy fireworks, retailers need to be registered to sell fireworks and must follow clear rules when selling and storing fireworks.

Fireworks and their sale and storage is regulated in Northern Ireland by the Department of Justice (DOJ).

To sell fireworks legally from your premises you must:

  • have your premises registered by DOJ
  • apply to DOJ to renew your Certificate of Registration

You may be fined up to £5,000 and/or imprisoned if you sell fireworks without permission from DOJ or breach conditions of your registration.

Different rules apply depending on the type of fireworks you intend to trade in - see fireworks categories and your business.

How to register as a fireworks retailer

For an application form to register as a fireworks retailer, you should contact the DOJ Firearms and Explosives Branch on Tel 028 9052 0760 or by emailing