Start a business from home
Support for home-based businesses
A wide range of help is available to you if you're starting a business from home. You can get help from a variety of local organisations, government agencies and online sources. Other forms of support can be obtained from events such as networking meetings and business workshops.
- The Northern Ireland business support finder is a searchable database that can help you find publicly-funded and not-for-profit sources of assistance you may be eligible to apply for. Support may be available in a number of forms, including financial assistance and free or subsidised advice services. Search for business support and finance.
- Invest NI's regional office network offers training and advisory services to those starting up in business - see Invest NI business support opportunities.
- There are 11 local councils in Northern Ireland, all of which can provide local information for businesses and provide a business adviser to help you start-up - see contact your local council for business start-up support.
- Enterprise NI is a network of local enterprise agencies that offers key assistance to your business, whether you are already established or just starting up - find your local enterprise agency.
- Mentoring can help you develop business skills. Building a relationship with a mentor can have a positive effect on your business, whether you are just starting up or are already established. A mentor can help you develop important business skills, support you in making important decisions and put you in touch with useful business contacts - see the benefits of business mentoring.
- Northern Ireland Chamber of Commerce offers support and advice and may organise networking meetings for businesses of a similar size and in similar business sectors.
- The events finder can help you to find a range of networking events and workshops in your local area - search the events finder.
- Social media channels like Twitter and LinkedIn can alert you to business development opportunities and help you overcome any feelings of isolation you experience as a home business owner - see social media platforms.
My New Business
My New Business is a free online service that covers everything you need to plan, start and run a business. It has videos and tools, plus other learning resources - like tutorials and case studies. All of them are aimed at helping people like you get your business started.
It also includes checklists that cover everything from coming up with a strong business idea and developing it, to identifying and reaching your customers to turn that idea into a successful business. See My New Business.