Water reviews, policies and action plans
Use a systematic approach to reduce water use
Because your business may use water for a number of different purposes, you should try to avoid an ad hoc approach to improving water efficiency. It is much more efficient to develop a business-wide water policy that includes all of your water needs.
Adopting a systematic approach can also help you to:
- identify all of the achievable savings
- avoid the exercise becoming a one-off 'purge'
- pursue ongoing savings
- ensure staff are motivated to help
- implement ideas more easily
- make sure the programme doesn't lose momentum and disappear
You can manage your water use by adopting a systematic approach that includes:
- assessing how much water your business uses
- creating a water use policy or incorporating information into a more general environmental policy
- setting up a water reduction plan that defines who will be involved, what they will do and how they will communicate progress
- identifying and selecting the most appropriate water efficiency measures
- setting environmental targets and objectives
- reviewing performance of the water reduction plan and programme
- reporting results to internal and external stakeholders
If your business has an environmental management system (EMS) - or you're setting one up - you should use it to manage your water use.
Invest NI Helpline0800 181 4422