Providing work experience opportunities
Work experience opportunities for students still at school
There are various ways that you can advertise or source workplace opportunities.
Connect to Success NI
You can raise awareness of work experience opportunities available at your organisation with school pupils via Connect to Success NI.
Connect to Success NI is an online system that enables employers to promote and advertise work experience opportunities for young people who are still at school.
The system, developed by the Department for the Economy, offers employers the facility to upload their work experience opportunities to help young people find them more quickly and easily.
School Employer Connections and Business in the Community Work Inspiration
Alternatively, you may wish to use one of the following organisations to manage opportunities on your behalf. These organisations provide a brokerage service to support employers and school career teachers arrange work experience placements for post-primary students.
- School Employer Connections caters for the Western region of Northern Ireland
- Business in the Community Work Inspiration focuses on the greater Belfast area and Eastern region of Northern Ireland
Schools and colleges
A number of schools and colleges encourage young people to find their own placement. However, there are occasions when careers teachers will source placements for the students.
Some schools and colleges have also developed partnerships with local employers.
Specialist Provision for Industry using College Expertise (SPICE), which has centres at the six further education colleges in Northern Ireland, is an initiative which provides assistance in arranging student placements between employers and students.
Arranging work experience
Issues to consider when thinking of taking part in work experience include:
- Duration of placement - most schools and colleges prefer a five day block placement, however, some may be open to three or four day placements.
- Age of students - most students go on work experience in year 12 (aged 15-16) and /or year 13 (age 16-17) or year 14 (age 17-18).
- No cost to employer - you do not have to pay students on work experience.