International road haulage permits

Bilateral road haulage permits for some non-EU countries


You can apply for permits for 8 non-EU countries that the UK has agreements with to transport goods to or through those countries. These countries are: 

Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Morocco, Russia, Tunisia, Turkey and Ukraine.

Each country has single-journey permits. Whether or not you need a permit depends on:

  • the size of the vehicle
  • the nature of the goods being carried

Special permits for Morocco
There are also 2 extra types of permits for Morocco to:

  • enter Morocco with an empty vehicle
  • take in filming equipment and material for film or TV products, or equipment for exhibitions (including racing)


You must have the right type of vehicle operator licence for Great Britain or vehicle operator licence for Northern Ireland for the goods you’re transporting to apply for a permit.

Where you can use the permits

You can use the permits to travel to or through:

  • Belarus
  • Georgia
  • Kazakhstan
  • Morocco
  • Russia
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey (you only need a permit when you’re continuing on to another third-country)
  • Ukraine (you only need a permit if you have a Euro III or Euro IV vehicle)

You also need a permit for ‘own account’ journeys to:

  • Belarus
  • Morocco
  • Russia
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey

Single-journey permits are valid for one complete journey. The outward and return trips count as one complete journey.

Multiple-journey permits are available for Morocco which authorises 15 return trips during the validity of the permit.

Apply for permits

Download and fill in the application form.

Send it to DVSA at least 5 working days before you start your journey from the UK.

Include a cheque or postal order to pay the fee. If you want to pay by debit or credit card, DVSA will contact you to take the payment when your application arrives.

International Road Haulage Permits Office
Hillcrest House
386 Harehills Lane

Apply for road haulage permits for some non-EU countries
(PDF, 143KB)


Country Permit type Cost
Belarus Single-journey permit £8
Georgia Single-journey permit £8
Kazakhstan Single-journey permit Free
Morocco Single-journey permit £8
Morocco Multiple-journey permit (15 return journeys) £50
Morocco Empty entry £8
Morocco Hors contingent (film and TV equipment, or exhibition equipment) £8
Russia Single-journey permit £8
Tunisia Single-journey permit £8
Turkey Single-journey permit £8
Ukraine Single-journey permit £8

Rules for using the permits

You can only use the permit in one vehicle at a time.

You must return all special entry permits for Morocco within 15 days of them expiring - whether you’ve used them or not.

What to do when you make journeys
You must carry the permit in your vehicle for the whole of the outward and return journey.

You need to show the permit at the border, and you’ll be allowed to pass into or through that country.

You must show the permit to any enforcement officer when asked to.

Depending on the terms of the bilateral agreement, you may still have to pay certain local taxes.

Check what other vehicle documents and driver documents the driver needs to carry on international journeys.

Lost, damaged or stolen permits

Contact DVSA straight away if you lose or damage a permit, or if one is stolen.

DVSA International Road Haulage Permits Office
Tel: 0330 678 1117
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

If you give up your operator licence

You need to return unused permits to DVSA if you apply to give up (‘surrender’) your vehicle operator licence.

Get help with bilateral international road haulage permits

Contact the DVSA International Road Haulage Permits Office to get help with bilateral permits.

DVSA International Road Haulage Permits Office
Tel: 0330 678 1117
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm