International road haulage permits

Standard International operator's licence for road haulage


A standard international licence means you can carry your own goods, and other people’s goods, both in the UK and on international journeys.

After you get a standard international licence, you can also request the issue of a UK Licence for the Community. A UK Licence for the Community allows:

  • trips between all EU member countries
  • transit traffic through EU member countries
  • cabotage (a journey entirely within one EU country)

How to apply for a standard international licence

You can apply online on the nidirect website.

You can also find out more about licence fees, the standards of fitness and finances required, and how to make changes or renew a licence.