Niche tourism opportunities
Visitors to Northern Ireland want to enjoy an authentic cultural experience. Traditional crafts and artisan produce can form part of this experience. The craft sector in Northern Ireland includes over 400 skilled producers.
Examples of local crafts include:
- local food products such as black pudding, rapeseed oil, cheese and soda bread
- handmade jewellery
- homeware such as Irish linen products
- artwork such as painting, photography and sculpture
- craft beer and spirits
- woodwork and furniture
Craft tourism opportunities
There are opportunities for craft producers to diversify their business by adding a tourism element. Examples include:
- workspace tours and production demonstrations
- special workshops and classes, eg bread-making or embroidery
- attending events such as fairs and festivals
Craft producers can get help to offer a tourism experience by becoming an official ÉCONOMUSÉE. This involves opening your workshop to the public and meeting certain criteria such as displaying an exhibition and selling your products on site. Northern Ireland currently has nine ÉCONOMUSÉEs in the Causeway and Glens region.
The following organisations offer guidance to craft businesses: