Retailing can be a rewarding career choice but it’s a highly competitive business environment.
Navigating the economic currents and dealing with shifting customers' shopping habits is a challenge. However, flexible retailers can explore new retail opportunities in Northern Ireland and beyond.
Knowing how to market your retail business can help your business to survive and thrive. Important traditional techniques of in-shop marketing, strong branding and great customer service play a big role. The growing trend of online marketing and selling offers further opportunities for growth.
This guide will help you to assess whether you can attract more customers to your retail business and grow new sales channels. It will also offer options for financial and advisory support for your retail business.
Know your legal responsibilities
- Do you need a licence?
- Get the right business insurance
- Comply with the law when providing goods and services
- Know your customers' rights
- Distance and online selling rules
- Understand pricing legislation
- Buying goods from outside NI
- Selling goods outside NI
- GDPR compliance checklist
- Pay your business rates
- Understand staff contracts and your responsibilities
- Taking on contractors and subcontractors
- What you need to do about health and safety
- Know your legal obligations on pensions
Understand tax and VAT
Sell and market your products or services