Screen tourism opportunities
Major TV and film productions in Northern Ireland
Many films and TV productions have been shot on-location in Northern Ireland. These present screen tourism opportunities and showcase the region to an international audience. Consider how your business can connect with local filming locations to offer experiences to TV and film fans.
Northern Ireland Screen publish a production catalogue of past and upcoming films and TV shows.
Some of the TV shows created here in Northern Ireland include:
- Game of Thrones - based on George R.R. Martin's fantasy novel series. The show is one of the biggest in the world with an audience of 31 million people worldwide. The critically acclaimed drama holds the record for the most Emmy awards. It was filmed at a wide range of locations around Northern Ireland and at Titanic studios. See Game of Thrones tourism in Northern Ireland.
- The Fall - a BBC crime drama with Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan. The show is set and was filmed in Belfast.
- Derry Girls - a sitcom set and filmed in Derry. The show focuses on a group of friends growing up in the 1990s.
- Line of Duty - another BBC crime drama filmed in Belfast. The show is about the investigations of a fictional police anti-corruption unit.
Some of the biggest feature films filmed in Northern Ireland include:
- Dracula Untold - filmed at many locations across Northern Ireland, it tells the origin story of Dracula and stars Dominic Cooper.
- Your Highness - starring Danny McBride, James Franco, Zooey Deschanel and Nathalie Portman, this comic fantasy film was filmed on location around Northern Ireland and at Titanic studios.
- High-Rise - a dystopian drama with Tom Hiddleston, Sienna Miller, Jeremy Irons and Luke Evans filmed primarily in Bangor.
- Good Vibrations - set and filmed in Belfast, this film tells the true story of record shop owner Terri Hooley and his role in the 1970s punk scene in Northern Ireland.
- The Lost City of Z - based on the book by James Grey about the true events surrounding British explorer Percy Fawcett's experiences in the Amazon, it stars Charlie Hunnam, Robert Pattinson and Sienna Miller. It was filmed in Belfast and at locations including Greyabbey and Strangford Lough.