Pinterest is social media platform that allows users to upload, save, sort and manage images, links and other media (pins) in collections called pinboards. Pinboards are normally organised by topics such as weddings, travel and recipes.
The platform supports business pages as well as personal accounts. This allows businesses to showcase their products through pins and group them on pinboards. Running a Pinterest business page can help drive online sales. Pinterest also offer paid advertising.
Creating a Pinterest business page
There are a number of steps to creating a Pinterest business page:
- select ‘join as a business’ on the Pinterest app or website
- complete the registration details and agree to the terms of service
- upload a profile image – preferably your logo
- choose your username – preferably your business name
- add your bio – include keywords as this is searchable
- add your location
- add and verify your website – to do this you’ll need to add a HTML code to your website
Once your account is ready you can start to set up new pinboards based on particular topics, adding pins and interacting with your audience. Share your Pinterest page across your other communication channels to start building your audience.
Make the most of Pinterest for business
There are a number of ways you can make the most of your business page to grow your audience and drive traffic to your website:
- Rich pins – by adding a special code to your website you can use ‘rich pins’ which include extra information such as price or a map. These can be used for articles, recipes, products, movies and places. This can help users save your articles or buy your products
- Optimise for search – by using the right keywords when you name your pinboards, you can help users who might be interested in your business find you. Think about the kind of terms that your target audience might search for.
- Add buttons to your website – you can make it easier for your website visitors to follow your page on Pinterest with a ‘follow us’ button. You can also encourage users to share your content by adding ‘pin it’ buttons to your blog or product pages.
- Share quality content – you will get more interaction and shares by sharing content that users find engaging, interesting and useful.
- Measure and monitor – check your Pinterest and web analytics to see what kind of content is popular and pushes users through to your website. Use this information to plan new content.
You can pay for your pins to be promoted to help more users see your content. The platform offers a range options focused on different marketing goals such as awareness, engagement and website traffic.