Ensuring your business complies with environmental legislation and adopts environmental and sustainable best practice can benefit your business. Going further than your business competitors in embedding environmental responsibilty can set your business apart.
Advantages of good environmental practice
Some of the business benefits of good environmental and sustainable practices include:
- Reducing your energy use can save you money - see how to save money by using energy more efficiently.
- Reducing your use of raw materials can cut your costs, minimise your waste and lower your waste disposal bills - see how to reduce your business waste to save money.
- Reducing your water use can cut your water bills and also lower your waste water disposal costs - see how to use water efficiently - the basics.
- Recycling equipment and materials could make you money and save on disposal costs - you may be able to sell old equipment or parts to subsidise the cost of buying new ones - see how to recycle your business waste.
- Taking steps to prevent environmental damage will reduce your risk of incurring costs and of having to carry out potentially expensive remedial work in the event of an environmental incident.
Your business could also enjoy other benefits. Many government organisations and large companies will only work with businesses who take their environmental responsibilities seriously. You may also find it easier to attract investment from banks and other sources of finance.
Sustainable development can create opportunities for your business. As well as making financial savings, you can enhance your reputation and brand value by fostering customer loyalty and motivating staff. You can also use sustainable development as an opportunity to encourage innovation, increase investment and open new markets.