Getting the right insurance is essential for any new business.
It's a sensible business decision to insure your premises, fixtures, fittings, equipment and stock against disasters such as fire, flood and theft which could prove highly damaging to your operations.
Some businesses may also want to consider insuring against legal liabilities and buying life and health cover for staff.
This guide sets out the business insurance you must have by law and the other types of cover a new business may require. It also explains how to get advice from a broker and gives details of insurance for homeworkers.
Know your legal responsibilities
- Do you need a licence?
- Get the right business insurance
- Comply with the law when providing goods and services
- Know your customers' rights
- Distance and online selling rules
- Understand pricing legislation
- Buying goods from outside NI
- Selling goods outside NI
- GDPR compliance checklist
- Pay your business rates
- Understand staff contracts and your responsibilities
- Taking on contractors and subcontractors
- What you need to do about health and safety
- Know your legal obligations on pensions
Understand tax and VAT
Sell and market your products or services