A business that understands its customers and their buying habits can sell more effectively, compete with other suppliers, target new customers and identify new opportunities.
There is a wide range of data available, which can help you build up a picture of general trends and your customers' buying habits. This includes both published data, and information you can collect yourself.
This guide explains what you need to know about market and customer research, how to build your knowledge and how using field research can fill in the gaps.
This video explains how to use market research to gain knowledge about your marketplace, your customers and their behaviour to target them better:
Know your legal responsibilities
- Do you need a licence?
- Get the right business insurance
- Comply with the law when providing goods and services
- Know your customers' rights
- Distance and online selling rules
- Understand pricing legislation
- Buying goods from outside NI
- Selling goods outside NI
- GDPR compliance checklist
- Pay your business rates
- Understand staff contracts and your responsibilities
- Taking on contractors and subcontractors
- Health and safety basics for business
- Know your legal obligations on pensions
Understand tax and VAT
Sell and market your products or services