Self Assessment is a system HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) uses to collect Income Tax. Income Tax is usually deducted automatically from wages, pensions and savings. However, people and businesses with other income must report it in a Self Assessment tax return.
Do I need to file a Self Assessment tax return?
You can find out who must send a tax return and check if you need to fill in a Self Assessment return.
Self Assessment deadline
The deadline to submit your Self Assessment tax return and pay the tax you owe is midnight on 31 January 2020.
This guide will help you understand Self Assessment including how to register for Self Assessment with HMRC, how to file your first Self Assessment tax return and key deadlines for Self Assessment.
Know your legal responsibilities
- Do you need a licence?
- Get the right business insurance
- Comply with the law when providing goods and services
- Know your customers' rights
- Distance and online selling rules
- Understand pricing legislation
- Buying goods from outside NI
- Selling goods outside NI
- GDPR compliance checklist
- Pay your business rates
- Understand staff contracts and your responsibilities
- Taking on contractors and subcontractors
- What you need to do about health and safety
- Know your legal obligations on pensions
Understand tax and VAT
Sell and market your products or services