You should aim to keep any information on intranets or extranets up-to-date and accurate. The easiest way to ensure this is to use content management systems (CMS) for managing and updating information.
What is a content management system?
A CMS is a system for adding, managing and publishing content to an intranet, extranet or a website. The system has a simple web-browser interface, which makes it easy to use even for those without prior IT expertise.
Content is created within the CMS using templates, which allow you to:
- input data easily
- ensure that content is displayed consistently across the site
- manage existing content more effectively
CMS features that are particularly useful when managing intranets and extranets include:
- user rights administration – to define who can publish, edit, review and manage information
- password control – leading to a high level of data security
- high performance search solutions
- integration with other systems – such as customer or corporate databases, or internal platforms