Product packaging can be an important way of adding value to your product. Good packaging can:
- protect and preserve the product during transportation - see packaging and labelling for export
- make the product attractive and easy to use
- sell the product by making it stand out from its rivals - see branding: the basics
- reduce the impact on the environment
- be cost effective - see packaging and packaging waste management
Product packaging can come in many forms, from bags and boxes to tins and bottles. The most suitable packaging for your product will depend on what you are selling and how it is transported and stored. If you produce food or drink products, another important consideration is the safety of food contact materials.
Once you have decided which type of packaging is most suitable for your product you can concentrate on its design. Your design should communicate the main benefits of your product and encourage people to buy your product instead of your competitors.
Unless you have experience in this field it is probably worth getting expert help.