Holiday, touring and camping parks and pitches can also apply for quality grading to Tourism NI.
Under the UK-wide British Graded Holiday Parks Scheme, parks are inspected and given a star-rating to reflect overall quality standards of the services and facilities provided.
The highest rating of five stars is reserved for parks of exceptional quality, whereas one star rating is awarded to parks of acceptable quality.
Aspects considered in the quality assessment include:
- reception and efficiency of service
- general maintenance, layout and landscaping
- park facilities, such as shops, clubs and restaurants,
- recreation, sport and leisure
- park grounds and facilities, such as lighting, signage and refuse disposal
- toilet and washing facilities
- pitches, including layout, spacing and service connections
To obtain and maintain their star-rating, parks have to undergo annual assessments usually in a form of unannounced day visits.