When starting or operating a business tax can seem like a daunting and complex issue. However, there are a number of useful free tax resources available to help you better understand and be more confident in dealing with your business taxes.
- Free HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) webinars
HMRC runs a number of free webinars throughout the month that can help you better understand a wide range of business tax matters. The webinars usually last about an hour and you have the opportunity to input questions to be answered by an expert HMRC panel. You can also watch recordings of any of the webinars at a time that suits you. Find out more about HMRC webinars.
- E-learning tutorials
For people starting out in business the HMRC e-learning tutorials can be a big help. They cover everything you need to know about starting and running a business. The tutorials are flexible - you can work through them at your own pace and dip in and out to suit your own needs. See links below to some of the popular e-learning tutorials:
You can also access bite-sized information and guidance on tax issues through simple video clips on the HMRC YouTube channel. Some of the video clips only last a minute or two.
- Ready Reckoner
This tool calculates how much tax you have to pay on your earnings. Access the Ready Reckoner.
- VAT rules when selling internationally
Our simple tool allows you to work out the VAT rules depending on your circumstances when selling products or services into international markets. VAT rules when selling internationally (tool).
- HMRC calculators and tools
You can find a full list of HMRC calculators and tools that can help you to work out your Income Tax, National Insurance contributions, employment status, VAT, Corporation Tax, PAYE and expenses.
Know your legal responsibilities
- Do you need a licence?
- Get the right business insurance
- Comply with the law when providing goods and services
- Know your customers' rights
- Distance and online selling rules
- Understand pricing legislation
- Buying goods from outside NI
- Selling goods outside NI
- GDPR compliance checklist
- Pay your business rates
- Understand staff contracts and your responsibilities
- Taking on contractors and subcontractors
- What you need to do about health and safety
- Know your legal obligations on pensions
Understand tax and VAT
Sell and market your products or services