Using design in business can bring about many benefits. It can improve your performance, your efficiencies, and the value of your products and services. It can also reduce costs and risks to your business.
Advantages of design to your business
Using design across your business can help you:
- increase sales of your products or services
- improve market position
- boost customer loyalty
- reduce customer complaints
- build a stronger identity for your business
- create new products and services and open up new markets
- reduce time to market for new products and services
- improve environmental record and compliance with regulations
Designing for your customer
Effective design can encourage customers to buy from you and not from your competitors. It can help your product, service or business stands out - see more on user-centred design.
Design can also add value to products and services. Customers are often willing to pay more for products that look better and offer greater usability, better functionality and sustainability. See ecodesign for goods and services.
Using design to improve efficiency
The role of design doesn't stop with products and services. Design can also help you:
- improve the way your business operates
- cut costs and boost efficiencies, for example with the raw materials it uses
- enhance the quality of your packaging
Design can also help cut production costs. For example, careful design of the manufacturing process can bring large savings. It can also make processes and the use of materials more efficient and environmentally friendly, helping you to comply with sustainability regulations and legislation. For more information, see how businesses use design.
You can also complete our Get design ready tool to improve your understanding of design and its role in developing successful products, services and businesses.