As a trader, you must comply with regulations that protect consumers from unfair commercial practices. The regulations ban business practices that might persuade people to buy a product they might not otherwise have bought. They also require traders to give clear and correct information about their selling prices.
Implementing best practice guidelines when you provide information about your selling prices will help you comply with the law and make sure you don't mislead people.
This guide recommends a set of best practice guidelines and outlines the main steps you should take when you provide pricing information. It also explains where you can find more detailed information and help with pricing issues.
Know your legal responsibilities
- Do you need a licence?
- Get the right business insurance
- Comply with the law when providing goods and services
- Know your customers' rights
- Distance and online selling rules
- Understand pricing legislation
- Buying goods from outside NI
- Selling goods outside NI
- GDPR compliance checklist
- Pay your business rates
- Understand staff contracts and your responsibilities
- Taking on contractors and subcontractors
- What you need to do about health and safety
- Know your legal obligations on pensions
Understand tax and VAT
Sell and market your products or services