Set up a business partnership

Register your business partnership


You must register your partnership for Self Assessment with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you're the 'nominated partner'. This means you're responsible for sending the partnership tax return.

The other partners need to register separately.

Register a partner or partnership with HMRC.

All partners also need to send their own tax returns as individuals - GOV.UK has further information on Self Assessment tax returns.

You must register by 5 October in your business's second tax year, or you could be charged a penalty. For example, if you started a partnership or became a partner during the 2021 to 2022 tax year, you must register before 5 October 2022.

Other ways to register your partnership

You can also register the partnership using HMRC form SA400 if you can't register online. You can register as a partner using form SA401.

Registering for VAT

You must also register for VAT with if your VAT taxable turnover is more than £90,000. You can choose to register if it's below this, for example to reclaim VAT on business supplies.

Another option is to appoint an agent to deal with HMRC on your behalf - GOV.UK provides guidance on what you need to do to appoint an agent to deal with HMRC on your behalf.