If you’re a sole trader, you run your own business as an individual and are self-employed.
You can keep all your business’s profits after you’ve paid tax on them. You’re personally responsible for any losses your business makes. You must also follow certain rules on running and naming your business.
If you are unsure about your status, see working for yourself.
Structure your business
Name your business
Register your business
Choose your premises
- How to employ staff for the first time
- National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates
- Carry out pre-employment checks
- Ensure your workers are eligible to work in the UK
- Get employers' liability insurance
- Issue a written statement of employment
- Set up your payroll and register for PAYE with HMRC