Once you have completed the initial selection process and chosen a potential new employee, there are some checks that you may want to make - or may be required to make - before making an unconditional job offer.
Some checks - whilst advisable - are optional, for example, checking a potential employee's qualifications or references. Other checks are a legal requirement - for example, you are required to ensure that all your workers are entitled to be in the UK and take up the job in question.
For other roles - such as those involving work with vulnerable individuals or jobs within the security industry - you may be required by law to obtain an AccessNI check on the potential employee.
This guide covers essential pre-employment checks that must be carried out for both UK and foreign nationals. It also provides links to more detailed guidance elsewhere on this site about pre-employment checking services and the data protection requirements you must comply with.
Structure your business
Name your business
Register your business
Choose your premises
- How to employ staff for the first time
- National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates
- Carry out pre-employment checks
- Ensure your workers are eligible to work in the UK
- Get employers' liability insurance
- Issue a written statement of employment
- Set up your payroll and register for PAYE with HMRC