Online promotion is important for almost any modern-day business, and especially so for start-up businesses, those launching new products or services, or businesses with a limited marketing budget.
How can you promote your business on the internet?
There are countless methods of promoting your business online. Many are free or low-cost, while some may require varying amounts of finance. Here are some of the most common ways of marketing your business on the internet:
1. Create a website - a website will allow your customers to find information on your business or buy your products and services 24/7. Setting up a website doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. Many web service providers offer free, albeit limited solutions, or simple, guided steps to help you create your site. See how to set up a small business website.
2. Create quality content - content is arguably the most important thing on your website. Good content can convert your site’s visitors into customers, boost your image, increase your visibility through search engines and enhance your relationship with customers, suppliers and the public. Follow best practices for content marketing.
3. Optimise for search - visibility in search results is key to your online success. Search engine optimisation (SEO) can help you improve ranking for your website for keywords relevant to your business, products or services, making your offering easier to find. SEO techniques are varied, but the main ones tend to focus on website design and structure, keyword selection, quality content and links.
4. Use social media - social media networks can help you syndicate, distribute and promote content to generate traffic to your website or boost interest in your business. They can help you create a community around your brand, extend your business reach and engage with your potential customers with relative ease and little cost. Read about social media best practice for business.
5. Use email marketing - reach out to your customers by creating and sending them regular content (eg newsletters, offers, updates, etc) to help drive traffic to your website and increase customer engagement. Email marketing can be a quick and cost-effective way of promoting your website and business online.
6. Use paid advertising - pay-per-click and paid search advertising can help you promote your business, products or services by placing ads on search engines, other websites or social media networks. Options include display advertising, social media advertising, affiliate marketing, paid search and others.
You can use other digital channels such as online PR, viral and mobile marketing as part of the marketing mix to help drive traffic to your website.
Benefits of having a digital marketing plan
A planned, targeted digital marketing campaign can reach customers at a much lower cost than traditional marketing methods. Digital marketing also provides you with trackable, measurable results, so that you can see how effective your campaign has been and how customers respond to different campaigns. See how to develop a digital marketing plan.