The more you know about your customers, the more effective your sales and marketing efforts will be. Find out:
- who they are - including individuals in other businesses who are responsible for the decision to buy from you
- what they buy
- why they buy it
- how they use your product
For information on targeting decision-makers, see the sales process.
You can learn a great deal about your customers by talking to them. Ask them why they're buying, what they may want to buy and what other needs they have. This could highlight valuable developments you can make to your current offering and help you spot new market opportunities.
It's also worth keeping an eye on future developments in your customers' markets and lives. Knowing the trends that are going to influence your customer helps you to anticipate what they will need. Market research and market reports can help you build a picture of where your customers' business - and your own - may be going.
Know your legal responsibilities
- Do you need a licence?
- Get the right business insurance
- Comply with the law when providing goods and services
- Know your customers' rights
- Distance and online selling rules
- Understand pricing legislation
- Buying goods from outside NI
- Selling goods outside NI
- GDPR compliance checklist
- Pay your business rates
- Understand staff contracts and your responsibilities
- Taking on contractors and subcontractors
- Health and safety basics for business
- Know your legal obligations on pensions
Understand tax and VAT
Sell and market your products or services