Ensure your workers are eligible to work in the UK

Biometric residence permits


Important: The rights and status of EU, EEA and Swiss citizens living in the UK will remain the same until 30 June 2021. EU citizens and their families can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living and working in the UK.

A new immigration system applies to people arriving in the UK from 1 January 2021. EU citizens moving to the UK to work will need to get a visa in advance. Employers need a sponsor licence to hire most workers from outside the UK. See employing EU citizens in the UK.

Biometric residence permits (BRPs) are issued to individuals from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who come to the UK to work or study.

As an employer, a valid BRP is proof of the holder's right to stay in the UK and do the work you are offering them.

For more information on checking the right to work in the UK, see ensure your workers are eligible to work in the UK.

What does a biometric residence permit look like?

The BRP is blue and pink in colour. The front of the card contains information about the holder.

Biometric residence permits: applicant and sponsor information.

  • Home Office Employer Enquiries
    0300 123 5434