If you employ staff, you will need to keep a record of how much you pay each of them and the deductions made from their wages.
For each employee you must keep a record of:
- their gross pay (the mains things that count are wages, salary, overtime payments, statutory payments)
- any tax deducted or refunded
- any National Insurance contributions (NICs) deducted or refunded
- any Student Loan deductions
Why do I need to keep wages records?
- You will have a single, detailed record of one of the most significant costs for most small businesses.
- You will be able to easily answer any staff questions you may receive when they come to do their own Self Assessment income tax returns.
- You will be able to prove that you pay the national minimum wage and equal pay for work of equal value should you need to.
Structure your business
Name your business
Register your business
Choose your premises