There are several sources of advice for businesses in Northern Ireland wanting to trade overseas.
Invest Northern Ireland support
Invest NI offers a range of advisory support to businesses planning to sell outside Northern Ireland:
- Workshops - suitable for businesses of all sizes, whether currently exporting or planning to export. Core Export Knowledge workshops will help those involved in the planning, management and delivery of the export process. Essential Export Skills workshops can assist those with operational responsibility for export business or senior staff who want a thorough understanding of the processes and practicalities of exporting. Businesses participating also have the opportunity to avail of a one-to-one mentoring session with an experienced export adviser. Each workshop costs £75 (including VAT) per person.
- In-market research - Trade Advisers are based in Brazil, China (Beijing), Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Tokyo, Australia, Dubai, Europe, India, London (construction sector), Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa and the United States of America. Additionally specialist food advisors are located in France, Germany, Italy and Spain.
- Trade Advisory Services (TAS) GB/ROI - this service provides consultants to work with businesses and assist them to grow their sales in the Republic of Ireland and Great Britain. New exporters can benefit from practical advice in identifying and addressing barriers to export trade while experienced exporters will benefit from increased export sales through current and new export market development and capability development.
- Legal advice - assistance for companies new to exporting or selling into new overseas market. This support is subject to eligibility criteria.
- Translation services – support for translation services for businesses new to foreign language markets and interpreting services for in-market meetings. This support is subject to eligibility criteria.
Northern Ireland Chamber of Commerce
Chamber Connections support can help you access trade advice and establish contacts in international markets. Connecting You to International Chambers can put businesses in touch with contacts in overseas market. Connecting You to Local Businesses can link you to experienced exporters, so you can benefit from their experience.
The Export Documentation service from NI Chamber offers an extensive range of services to help exporters complete the necessary paperwork required when exporting.
The NI Chamber International Hub aims to help businesses grow globally.
Supported by three International Champions, A&L Goodbody, Grant Thornton and Queen’s University Belfast, the division provides practical business support, expert guidance and the opportunity for peer learning and connections for NI Chamber’s member businesses.
The International Division also hosts collaborative forums for established exporters and focused workshops for new exporters drawing on the expertise of the International Champions and successful corporates.
Business finance and support finder
Know your legal responsibilities
- Do you need a licence?
- Get the right business insurance
- Comply with the law when providing goods and services
- Know your customers' rights
- Distance and online selling rules
- Understand pricing legislation
- Buying goods from outside NI
- Selling goods outside NI
- GDPR compliance checklist
- Pay your business rates
- Understand staff contracts and your responsibilities
- Taking on contractors and subcontractors
- What you need to do about health and safety
- Know your legal obligations on pensions
Understand tax and VAT
Sell and market your products or services