Once you are established in your business in a chosen market there are numerous support schemes to provide ongoing support.
Overseas Market Introduction Service
The Department for International Trade's Overseas Market Introduction Service (OMIS) is a business tool that lets you use the services of their trade teams, located in embassies, high commissions and consulates across the world, to benefit your business. OMIS can provide help at any stage - from initial research, to arranging a market visit, to using contacts and facilities to help close deals.
Trade Advisory Scheme
The Trade Advisory Service provides businesses with tailored export consultancy from Invest Northern Ireland advisors based in overseas markets. This service costs £125 (excl. VAT) per day. For information on the Trade Advisory Scheme call the Invest NI Boosting Business helpline on Tel 0800 181 4422.
Export market visits
Invest Northern Ireland can offer support towards export market visits. This can help your business explore a new export market, to promote a new product or to attend events.
Solex exhibition support
Invest NI's SOLEX scheme provides assistance to eligible companies to exhibit independently at an approved trade show outside Northern Ireland where Invest Northern Ireland does not have a presence.
Know your legal responsibilities
- Do you need a licence?
- Get the right business insurance
- Comply with the law when providing goods and services
- Know your customers' rights
- Distance and online selling rules
- Understand pricing legislation
- Buying goods from outside NI
- Selling goods outside NI
- GDPR compliance checklist
- Pay your business rates
- Understand staff contracts and your responsibilities
- Taking on contractors and subcontractors
- Health and safety basics for business
- Know your legal obligations on pensions
Understand tax and VAT
Sell and market your products or services