Recruiting and selecting employees should always be considered carefully by any business regardless of their size. The people you employ will form an essential part of your business strategy, and will contribute greatly to the making or breaking of your business.
To make sure that you bring the best people on board, you will need to ensure that your recruitment process is fine-tuned, non-discriminatory and tailored to your business needs. For further guidance see the Employer's Handbook Section 2: Recruiting new employees (PDF, 170K).
For an overview of the recruitment stages and general considerations, download our recruitment process flowchart (DOC, 87K).
For sample documents to help with particular stages of the recruitment process, see below.
Advertising your vacancy
You will need to prepare a job description, a person specification and an application form to advertise your vacancy. To help you do this, you can download and use our sample recruitment forms and documents:
- sample job description document (DOC, 14K)
- sample person specification document (DOC, 15K)
- sample recruitment advertisement (DOC, 16K)
- sample job application form (DOC, 18K)
- sample monitoring questionnaire for job applicants (DOC, 20K)
Once you receive replies from candidates to your vacancy advertisement, you will need to draw up a shortlist and invite those shortlisted to an interview. To help you do this, you can download and use our sample shortlisting documentation:
- sample shortlisting record table (DOC, 15K)
- shortlisting guidance (DOC, 13K)
- sample letter of invitation to first interview (DOC, 13K)
- sample rejection letter to applicant following shortlisting exercise (DOC, 13K)
The more preparation you do for the interview, the easier it will be for both you and the candidate. To help you prepare and carry out the interview correctly, download and read our factsheets on interviewing, and use our sample record of interview documents:
- sample interview record document (DOC, 14K)
- sample interview report document (DOC, 14K)
- preparing for job interviews factsheet (DOC, 14K)
- interview practicalities and structure (DOC, 14K)
- do's and don'ts of interviewing job applicants (DOC, 15K)
- sample rejection letter to applicant following job interview (DOC, 12K)
Read more on advertising a job and interviewing candidates.