HR documents and templates
Redundancy letters, forms and templates
A redundancy situation can arise in the following circumstances:
- the employer has ceased, or intends to cease, to carry on the business for the purposes of which the employee was so employed
- the employer has ceased, or intends to cease, to carry on the business in the place where the employee was so employed
- the requirements of the business for employees to carry out work of a particular kind has ceased or diminished or are expected to cease or diminish
- the requirements of the business for the employees to carry out work of a particular kind, in the place where they were so employed, has ceased or diminished or are expected to cease or diminish
Employers' Handbook redundancy guidance
Sample redundancy letters and documents
You can download the sample redundancy templates below to help you manage the redundancy process:
- redundancy ready reckoner table (DOC, 1MB)
- sample redundancy selection matrix template (DOC, 17K)
- sample redundancy letter for provisional selection for redundancy (DOC 14K)
- sample redundancy letter for invitation to final consultation (DOC, 14K)
- sample redundancy letter for confirmation of redundancy (DOC, 16K)
- sample letter of offer of alternative role (DOC, 14K)
- sample letter for result of appeal (DOC, 14K)
- advance notification of redundancies form template (DOC, 21K)
For further information, see redundancy, restructures and change.
Alternatives to redundancy
You may wish to consider alternatives in order to avoid redundancies. For further guidance see Section 23: Lay-off and short-time working (PDF, 33K) of the Invest Northern Ireland Employers' Handbook.
The Labour Relations Agency (LRA) redundancy webinar provides useful information on the topic of redundancy and how to ensure the redundancy process is managed fairly and in line with employment legislation.