Register a trade mark in the UK
You can register your trade mark with the Intellectual Property Office (IPO) online or by post. Before you apply for registration, you should:
- check that your chosen mark qualifies as trade mark - see what is a trade mark
- choose the right mark to protect - see tips on selecting a strong trade mark
- find out if the mark is free to use - see how to search for trade marks
- understand the trade mark registration process - see how to register a trade mark
Apply for a UK trade mark
To complete your application for trade mark registration, you will need to provide the IPO with:
- your name and address details
- details of what you want to register (eg a word, illustration or slogan)
- the classes you want to register your trade mark in - see how to classify trade marks
You will also need an email address and a credit or debit card to pay for the fees.
Trade mark application fees vary according to the examination option you choose when you apply - this can be either the standard or the Right Start application service.
Fees are non-refundable and don't guarantee registration of your trade mark.