Register a trade mark in the UK
You can register your trade mark with the Intellectual Property Office (IPO) online or by post.
Before you apply for registration, you should:
- check that your chosen mark qualifies as trade mark - see what is a trade mark
- choose the right mark to protect - see tips on selecting a strong trade mark
- find out if the mark is free to use - see how to search for trade marks
- understand the trade mark registration process - see how to register a trade mark
Apply for a UK trade mark
To complete your application for trade mark registration, you will need to provide the IPO with:
- your name and address details
- details of what you want to register (eg a word, illustration or slogan)
- the classes you want to register your trade mark in - see how to classify trade marks
You will also need an email address and a credit or debit card to pay for the fees.
Following the implementation of the Trade Mark Regulations 2018, you no longer have to represent your mark graphically when you apply. From 14 January 2019, you can file your mark online in an electronic format such as MP3, MP4 and JPEG. Find more information in GOV.UK's new trade mark law guidance.
Trade mark application fees vary according to the examination option you choose when you apply - this can be either the standard or the Right Start application service.
Fees are non-refundable and don't guarantee registration of your trade mark.
Invest NI Helpline0800 181 4422
IPO Information Centre0300 300 2000