Use your home as a workplace

Tax considerations of working from home


Working from home can affect your tax situation:

  • Your business will be able to claim tax relief on domestic bills for the areas of the house used for your business.
  • If your business is VAT registered, you may be able to claim back VAT on articles you buy for business use. Reclaiming VAT.
  • If you have set aside a room solely for working in, you'll have to work out if there's Capital Gains Tax to pay if you sell your house.

For the purposes of Corporation Tax and income tax furnished holiday properties let on a commercial basis can qualify for tax treatment under the Furnished holiday lettings rules. To qualify properties must be in the UK or European Economic Area and be available for commercial letting to the public for a minimum period. 

Always consult an accountant or HMRC on taxation issues. See choose and work with an accountant.

Paying business rates

Business rates may be payable on domestic premises that are used for business purposes - for example, if you work from home, provide bed-and-breakfast or let your house as a holiday home. See business rates and types of premises.

Estimate your rate bill to get an indication of the rates payable for your business property.

  • Land & Property Services Helpline
    0300 200 7801